Business Development Manager
Before outlining the role of a Business Development Manager, let’s briefly look at who Clarify are.
Clarify works with global brands and high growth start-ups in the enterprise technology space in the UK, EMEA and USA. The key element all our customers have in common is that they want to grow their sales pipeline fast or they need to transition from selling legacy products to selling new products and services often in new markets and territories. Clarify helps them to achieve these objectives.
What’s the role of a Business Development Manager?
A Business Development Manager or BDM’s role is to build quality sales pipeline for Clarify’s clients so that they deliver on their corporate objectives.
On a daily basis, BDMs will engage with multiple decision-makers – typically C suite level – in a client’s prospect accounts. The conversations that BDMs have are consultative and educational; providing challenging market insights in order to establish a qualified business need within prospect accounts. Opportunities are nurtured prior to being handed across to be accepted into the client’s sales pipeline.
BDMs are essentially game changers; they work on high value sales opportunities and deliver value by building quality sales pipeline fast and at scale.
Experience in sales is not a pre-requisite to work as a BDM, it is more important to have critical thinking and problem-solving skills. BDMs work proactively with their clients and have a strong understanding of the barriers to success and will creatively drive solutions to succeed.
Our ideal candidate for a BDM will possess the following attributes
Analysis & Innovation
- Ability to quickly establish a deep understanding of the client’s market, including opportunities for growth as well as threats and/or risks
- Analyses the opportunity and sales pipeline to identify critical failure points to give insight to the client to help improve their sales’ strategies
Selling & Networking
- Connects with prospects using a variety of methods; by asking challenging questions and inspiring them to act
- Is an active listener, applying a consultative approach to prospects to drive sales opportunities for the client
- Has an ability to gain access to C and D level decision makers, positioning solutions in accordance with the client value proposition
- Ability to develop a deep understanding of the client’s sales process and pro-actively recommend ways for the client to adapt it in order to increase win rates or accelerate opportunities
- Consistently demonstrates a desire to further improve the client’s KPIs, investigating and implementing ways to make the Business Development process deliver a stronger ROI
- Act as a go-to person or advisor for the Account Manager’s when they are looking for input on how to win an opportunity
- Makes recommendations on ways to improve the quality of opportunities generated and adapts the ‘Client Health KPIs’ accordingly
- Delivers a high impact service to the client, which achieves or over-exceeds the majority of the metrics included in the pipeline and forecast model
- Ensuring efficient and effective recording and reporting of key information to prospects, customers and internally, through agreed processes and systems
- Ability to work collaboratively, supporting others in the team
- Is focused and driven – and is prepared to take on responsibilities outside of the job description
- Solid communication skills
- IT and business orientated
- Strong knowledge of the sales process
- Ability to influence at the highest levels of an organisation
The ideal candidate
- Is a self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Has the ability to retain their composure under pressure
- Is customer and results focused
- Has strong organisational skills
- Is flexible and has a positive approach to change
- Is a strategic thinker with excellent attention to detail
- Has the ability to cope with conflicting demands and pressures
- Is self-aware, proactively managing their own development and performance
Clarify offers all BDMs an ongoing training and development programme to ensure that they reach their full potential, excel in their role and feel supported in their career.